Friday, July 31, 2009

Dinner Tonight: Orange Spam with Couscous

I was looking at the leftovers in my fridge and wondering what I could do to maximize the use of my resources. As I rummaged through the contents, I found some leftover Spam. I don't eat Spam as I once did, but I had some left over from these wonderful crescents I made for a recent church activity. I only had about the same amount that you get in those singles packs, so I thought about what to do with that amount. Spam is like ham as far as where it comes from, I thought, so why not make a glaze and then you could serve it with your leftover couscous? Kill two birds with one stone.

I got out a few ingredients and a bowl to get started. Of course, Tashi always gets curious when I cook, so she was especially curious to see me experimenting.








I took a cup of dark brown sugar, 1/2 cup of orange marmalade, 1/4 cup honey dijon mustard, and a tbl of cloves. The marmalade is the all-fruit kind.



I started mixing this together when I got to this point and had an epiphany: "Hey, moron, since you are probably going to heat the glaze anyway, why not mix the ingredients in the pot and just skip the bowl?"


So I did just that.








While the glaze was heating, I took the Spam and cubed it. Then I placed it into a skillet to fry. I know you can eat Spam raw, something my brother always did while we were growing up. I never did that. If you're meat, you're better cooked. Period.

I turned back to the glaze to see the mixture liquifying a bit. I continued to stir this occasionally.





As I stir, I noticed that the glaze seemed a bit runny to me, so I tossed in 2 tbl of flour to thicken the mixture.





I removed the Spam from the skillet and patted it with paper towels to remove as much of the grease as I could.





Then the cubed Spam goes into the glaze mixture. I stirred just until the mixture started to boil. Then I removed from heat.





I served the Orange Spam over couscous and added in some salad and mixed vegetables on the side. The recipe makes enough for two servings, so I get the scrumdilliuptiousness of the experience repeated. Wonderful!

No comments: