Monday, August 03, 2009

Breakfast Today: Ham and Broccoli Quiche

Broccoli for breakfast? When it's a part of this wonderful quiche, absolutely! In my quest to maximize the use of my resources while still eating well, I decided to experiment a little with something that I haven't eaten in a while -- quiche. So when I got back on Saturday from my morning run, I decided that the time had come.

I started by chopping some ham, about 2 cups worth.







Next, I took some frozen broccoli that I thawed slightly with running hot water and chopped it, about 1 cup worth.





I traditionally make my own pie crusts, but in the interest of time, I used a pre-made crust from the store. The thing I have always had a hard time with is making the crimped edges of the crust. I can never seem to get that right. That's one reason why I never considered scuplture as a career. The crust starts out baking at 450F for 4 minutes, and even though I pricked holes in it with a fork, I still had to flatten the huge air bubble that the pie bottom had become.

In a bowl I cracked 3 eggs and beat them.







Then I added 2 cups grated Swiss cheese, 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (I like the New York variety best), and 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese. The mozzarella I had frozen. The other cheeses were fresh and grated straight into the bowl. Most recipes for quiche that I have seen use only Swiss, but I had the other cheeses and wanted to use them up.

After stirring in the cheeses, I added the ham and broccoli choppings along with 1/8 cup minced onion, a dash of chives, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 cup parsley, and 1 tsp black pepper.



I filled the partially baked crust with the filling mixture and returned it to the oven for 45 minutes at 325F.





My experiment actually produced enough filling for a second quiche, and since I had an extra pie crust (the store sells them in pairs) I thought to make a second quiche. The problem was that I couldn't find another pie pan. I know that I had at least three, which means I probably included the extras in that donation I assembled for Goodwill. So what to do now? My solution was to use a muffin pan and make mini quiches. I cut out patterns from the pie crust and filled the muffin tin.

I had just enough filling left for all six mini quiches.







What was left of the pie crust I rolled into a rectangle with my rolling pin, placed it on a baking sheet, covered it with sugar and cinnamon, and then baked it at 450F for a few minutes after taking out the partially baked mini quiche crusts. That will serve as a nice dessert after some other meal.

Here is the final product. Just looking at this makes me want some. This was so good I actually ate half of this in one setting. No lie!




Even Tashi wanted some! I can't say I blame her, but Tashi is a cat and therefore only gets cat food, not people food.





The mini quiches baked at 325F too but only for 35 minutes. They came out wonderful!

No comments: