Friday, August 07, 2009

Breakfast Today: Oatnut Pancakes

I love the Harvest Grain 'n' Nut Pancakes at IHOP so much that I decided to experiment to find a version that I can make at home and keep my money in my pocket and my gas in my car. After some trials, I succeeded (or at least I crafted a recipe that I really like). The wonderful thing about being on vacation is that I can go to a downtown park for my morning run and then come back to enjoy these hearty and healthy pancakes.

I start with finely chopping a few walnuts, enough to make 1/8 cup finely chopped nuts. There is a reason I am emphasizing "finely chopped". If the nut pieces are too big, the pancakes fall apart when you eat them and even sometimes when you butter them. (It's what we engineers would call an interface surface area problem.)

I then combine the nuts with 1 cup baking mix and 1/3 cup oats. I traditionally get baking mix from the store, but lately I have given thought to making my own. That way my dependency is not on a particular product but on the base ingredients which are good staples to keep on hand anyway.

I then combine the dry mixture with 1 cup milk, 1 egg, and 1 tsp vanilla and cook the pancakes three at a time, silver dollar style. I make sure to scoop a little from the bottom when pouring the batter since the contents have a tendency to sink.

When the pancakes have enough bubbles, I flip them. This recipe makes 9 pancakes and leaves me feeling both full and fulfilled. I've experimented with different flavors of pancakes (including apple cinnamon, banana nut, pear, and lemon), but I have to say this flavor is one of my favorites. Yummy in the tummy!

No comments: