Thursday, August 06, 2009

Dinner Tonight: Pizza Cordon Blue

I came across this interesting idea in one of my cookbooks and decided to give it a try. Indeed, it sounded interesting (I mean, come on, chicken cordon blue as pizza), and I was hungering for something different. Little did I know the taste adventure that awaited me.

I started with the crust. I have this great recipe for crust that I have refined over the years, but the store's pre-made version is almost as good (yes, I said almost) and takes a lot less effort. This pre-made crust was easy to roll out, but I had to reshape the rectangular form into something more accommodating for my round pan.

Next came the sauce. I mixed 1/4 cup fat free sour cream with 2 tbls honey dijon mustard.






Once the sauce is mixed well, I used my spoon to spread it out over the crust. It turned out that I had just enough to place a thin layer of the sauce over the crust with some extra space around the edge of the crust.


With the sauce on the crust, I sprinkled minced onion until all of the sauce was covered as shown.





The recipe calls for Swiss cheese in place of mozarella. I used about two cups worth grated right over the pie.





I then added chopped chicken (which had been pre-cooked, chopped, frozen, and then thawed in the microwave for this occasion) and chopped ham (which was fresh). I finished with a sprinkling of parsley over the pie.

Tashi is always curious when I set to work in my kitchen. This pizza was no exception.









I baked the pie for 16 minutes at 400F. I normally like my cheese and toppings to spread as shown but take the sauce straight up to the crust. In this instance, the lack of sauce around the crust actually turned out to work in my benefit. The crust served as a breadstick of sorts for my side salad. Who knew? This pizza was absolutely incredible. If you love pizza like I do (that would be most of you reading this) and you want something different, Pizza Cordon Blue is a definite winner. Next time I make this -- and I will make this again -- I'd like to add some mushroom and green pepper. Magnifique!

No comments: