Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Breakfast Today: Strawberry Cinnamon French Toast

So the other day I get this hankering for something simple yet tasty. And I quickly settled upon this quick and easy dish. I actually had to measure everything out for this, since I have made this so often for myself I practically know how much to add just by sight.

And of course, Tashi wanted to supervise my activities in the kitchen. She took her sometimes usual place on top of the fridge, so I decided to respect my inner "artiste" and take a photo from a different vantage point. The result was this photographic gem.

For the french toast, I started with an egg, which I proceeded to scramble.






To the egg, I added a pinch of sugar, 1/3 cup milk, 1/4 tsp coconut extract, and 1 tsp vanilla extract. The pinch of sugar is just that; I put my hand in the sugar bag and extract that amount I can pinch between my forefinger and thumb.

I usually use whole wheat bread for my French toast. It's just healthier that way. I dip the bread into the egg mixture, flipping it over to make sure that both sides are coated before adding the bread slice to the skillet.

I have learned that I make better use of the cinnamon if I add it to the toast slices while cooking in the skillet. Mixing it in the egg mixture resulted in wasted cinnamon that never adhered more to the side of the mixing dish.

I cook the slices until both sides are a golden brown. This recipe makes just enough egg mixture for two slices.





To sweeten the deal, I served my French toast slices with strawberries and sugar free whipped cream. Yum yum yummy!

No comments: